Aberdeen pushes Thistle aside to reach the last four

Aberdeen pushes Thistle aside to reach the last four

Luis Lopes opens the scoring for Aberdeen

Aberdeen knocked out Partick Thistle in a reckless performance to reach the Scottish League Cup semi-finals.

The game was all but over at half-time when Luis Lopes and Hayden Coulson scored on either side of Kevin Holt’s own goal to give the hosts a comfortable lead.

Leaders Thistle hit back after the break when Darren Brownlie headed past Kelle Roos from a corner.

But a nice goal from Ryan Duncan restored Aberdeen’s three-goal cushion.

The semi-final draw will take place later in the evening.

The home side took the lead after 16 minutes when Coulson stole the ball from Stuart Bannigan in midfield before playing for Lopes, who coldly passed Jamie Sneddon.

Thistle defender Aaron Muirhead had been booked early and was lucky not to see a second yellow card as he pulled down Lopes on the left. However, Ian McCall played it safe and replaced the centre-back with Lee Hodson coming on as a substitute.

However, Dons continued to drive forward and gate number two duly arrived. Coulson’s shot was on target but was deflected by both Hodson and Kevin Holt before landing in the back of the net.

And it was a similar ending for goal number three as another attempt by Coulson was deflected into the net by Jack McMillan.

McCall brought on Brownlie at the break, Scott Tiffoney made way. And there was also a rare sighting of Christian Ramirez replacing Bojan Miovski early in the second half, much to the delight of home fans in the crowd.

But it was the 730 who had traveled from Glasgow to watch their team have something to celebrate in the second half.

A corner was flown low at the back post where substitute Brownlie vaulted high over Ross McCrorie to nod the ball into the bottom corner of the net.

Ramirez almost regained the Dons three-goal lead with an outrageous shot from 25 yards but Sneddon made a terrific save to thwart the striker.

The game was finally ended by the home side with five minutes remaining when Duncan fired home from the edge of the 18-yard box to secure Aberdeen’s place in the last four of the competition.

Player of the Match – Hayden Coulson

Aberdeen's Hayden Coulson
Hayden Coulson was a constant threat on the left and had a hand in all three of Aberdeen’s first-half goals

What’s next?

Aberdeen travel to Motherwell for a Scottish Premiership clash on Saturday (15:00 GMT) while Partick Thistle host Queen’s Park in the Scottish Championship (15:00 GMT).



education 4-2-3-1

  • 24rose
  • 2McCorrieBooked at 73 minutes
  • 5steward
  • 4Scale
  • 22coulson
  • 20ClarksonReplaced bybarondid 45′protocol
  • 16Ramadani
  • 33kennedy
  • 10visitsReplaced byDuncandid 78′protocol
  • 11by Barros LopesReplaced byMorrisdid 61′protocol
  • 9MiovskyReplaced byRamirezdid 45′protocol


  • 1Lewis
  • 3Mackenzie
  • 7Morris
  • 8thbaron
  • fifteenWatkins
  • 23Duncan
  • 25Richardson
  • 28Milne
  • 99Ramirez

Partick thistle

education 4-2-3-1

  • 1Sneddon
  • 2McMillan
  • 22Muirhead10 minutes bookedReplaced byhodsondid 23′protocol
  • 4GetReplaced byAkinoladid 45+2′protocol
  • 3Milne
  • 23DochertyReplaced byblacksmithdid 59′protocol
  • 8thbanana
  • fifteenMcKinnon
  • 7TiffneyReplaced bychocolate cakedid 45′protocol
  • 11LawlessBooked at 78 minutes
  • 10dowsReplaced byGrahamdid 59′protocol


  • 5chocolate cake
  • 9Graham
  • 14blacksmith
  • 16hodson
  • 17west
  • 18Akinola
  • 19mullen
  • 21Fitzpatrick
  • 24McCready

David Munro


live text

#Aberdeen #pushes #Thistle #reach

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *